Join us at Flexitarian Focus as we celebrate World Pasta Day with three of our favorite pasta recipes. Choose from Gnocchi, Tomato and Parmesan, Green Pea Pasta with Basil Pesto and Lentil Bolognese – courtesy of our friends at Napolina.
What You Need
- 500g Homemade Gnocchi or dry Gnocchi
- 15ml Napolina Olive Oil
- 1 x 500g carton of Napolina Passata
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- Handful of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 4 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 30g grated Parmesan cheese or vegetarian hard cheese
- Black Pepper
What To Do
15 minutes cooking time
- Heat 15ml of olive oil in a large pan
- Finely dice 1 onion and 2 cloves of garlic and fry in the oil for 5-7 minutes until soft
- Add 1 carton of passata. Mix and simmer for 2 minutes
- Meanwhile, finely chop 4 sage leaves, 2 sprigs of thyme, a small handful of basil leaves and add to the tomato sauce
- Season with salt and pepper then mix together and simmer for a further 10 minutes
- Whilst the sauce is cooking, add 500g of gnocchi to a large pan of boiling, salted water and cook for 2 minutes or until they float to the surface
- Drain the gnocchi, and then add to the sauce
- Stir everything together and serve immediately with grated Parmesan cheese or vegetarian hard cheese and torn basil leaves
How to Make Gluten Free Green Pea Pasta With Basil Pesto
What Your Need
- 250g Napolina Gluten Free Organic Green Pea Pasta
- 150ml Napolina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 100g green peas
- 75g basil leaves
- 50g pine nuts
- 40g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ lemon
- Salt and black pepper
What To Do
30 minutes Cooking time
- To prepare the pesto, add 100g peas, 75g basil, 50g of pine nuts, 40g Parmesan cheese, 1 clove of garlic, juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper to a food processor. Pulse to combine. As the processor is running, slowly pour 150ml of extra virgin olive oil in until fully mixed and you have a thick but smooth consistency.
- Add 250g gluten free green pea pasta to a large pan of boiling salted water, cooking until al dente.
- Drain and return to the pan. Spoon the pesto into the pan stirring to combine.
- Serve immediately, with grated Parmesan cheese.
How to Make Lentil Bolognese
What You need
- 2 x tablespoons Napolina Olive Oil
- 2 x onions, chopped
- 2 x carrots, finely diced
- 2 x celery sticks, finely diced
- 3 x garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans of Lentils
- 2 x 400g cans of Napolina Chopped Tomatoes
- 4 x tablespoons Napolina Double Concentrate Tomato Purée
- 1 bay leaf
- 500g Napolina 50%/50% Spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese or vegetarian hard cheese, to serve
- Black pepper
What To Do
50 minutes cooking time
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan.
- Chop the onions, garlic, carrots and celery sticks. Add to the pan.
- Cook gently for 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Stir in the lentils, chopped tomatoes, purée and bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, bring a large pan of water to the boil and season with salt. Add 500g spaghetti and boil for 10 minutes until al dente.
- Season the Bolognese sauce with salt and pepper and remove the bay leaf.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce, tossing until all of the pasta is coated.
- Serve with the grated Parmesan cheese or vegetarian hard cheese